Velum Source - Old European Square Piano

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Wed Feb 14 20:18:13 MST 2007

Anything here that would help you?

http://www.mid-east.com/searchresult.asp?PrevBK=CDEF%2DLG&NextBK=FS16&Nav=N&SW=skins&Tp=

Joseph Alkana RPT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jurgen Goering
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 5:36 PM
  Subject: Re: Velum Source - Old European Square Piano

  Ric, thanks for your input. I have been looking in the drum head arena, but it is hard to find the right stuff.

  John, I am aware of the velum sold by BG. and others in Germany. Regardless of what the dealers may say, it is too thick and too stiff for Blüthner back actions and other action applications in vintage instruments. The sellers are, by and large, not piano restorers and do not speak from experience. 0.3 and 0.7 mm velum is fine for harpsichord rosettes. For the purposes we are talking about, the velum should be no thicker than 0.15 mm, otherwise the damper underlevers tend to float just a little. I have this information from an experienced tech in Germany who has written an article on replacing the Blüthner back action velum hinges.

  Jurgen Goering
  Piano Forte Supply
  (250) 754-2440
  info at pianofortesupply.com
  http://www.pianofortesupply.com

  On Feb 14, 2007, at 15:51, Ric wrote:Hey there Jurgen

    I suppose you know that certain types of drum heads are for all practical purposes (at least in this regard) the same. I know fellows over here that actually prefer it. I generally keep any of this stuff that gets thrown out here at the university and use it as needed.

    Cheers
    RicB