etd's and ears

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Feb 15 05:21:52 MST 2007

At 10:25 PM 2/14/2007 -0600, you wrote:
>Whattaya think?????????????????????????  I wonder who made you
>god.........  Wow.  There is a vast difference in confidence and
>arrogance,  the realization that in all things human, humans will
>prove themselves fallible. That should, I would think, cause one to
>err on the side of caution...............
>les bartlett
>

>----------

I'm not God, but I talk to Him fairly often...

A dozen years ago I was VERY sceptical of the quality of tuning
obtained by the use of ETDs. Then I got one. Then I learned to use
it. Then I overused it. Then I abused it. Then I _really_ learned to use it.

When I'm doing 10 pianos in 10 hours for high school contest warmup
rooms, I'm definitely on autopilot. When I'm doing concert tunings, I
first use the ETD, then I check it against my ear. Any disagreements
generally are resolved in favor of my ears.

I just now got back from tuning up a D. It only needed a few unisons
touched up, but I went through my entire tuning sequence. The ETD
never got out of its case.

Knowing when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em, IMHO, is the art in
ETD usage.  If I've got a head cold, in a noisy location or doing
bulk tuning, the ETD definitely rules the day. If not, we have a dialog.

I tell folks that the ETD does the heavy lifting, my ears do the
vernier calibration.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.