Steinway abuse, was Re: Who Builds After Market Keys?

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Thu Feb 15 10:39:18 MST 2007

Yes, some pretty amazing things can happen to pianos at schools.  I wonder where the keys ended up...

The worst case of school piano abuse was actually a Steinway in a frat house at Stanford University.  I wish I'd had a camera.  The soundboard was basically gooey with beer swill, the tuning pins were coated in black muck, many strings were broken.  I was just there to move it at the time, so pulling the action wasn't in my agenda.  But the thing that made moving a bit difficult was that the rear leg was missing, having long since replaced by a beer keg.  Pretty good height match, though it wasn't attached so well.

Dave Stahl