Noisy Yamaha Strings

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 12:20:55 MST 2007

At 8:55 am -0800 15/2/07, Patrick Poulson wrote:

>...A new customer has a Yamaha GC1 that has some noisy bass strings.
>That is, these strings have a very prominent high harmonic that
>stands out and is very unmusical ... Greg at Yamaha Tech support
>would only say that this is a characteristic of Yamaha strings and
>is not considered a manufacturing defect

Yes, Yamaha strings are simply lousy and always have been.  It is not
only that they are made on automatic machines; they are also badly
designed.  All those unpleasant high harmonics can be removed by
fitting strings made to a better scale and by whipping the bottom
ends of at least the bichords.  When I used to retail Yamaha and
Kawai the first thing I'd do with the grands is throw out the
original bass strings and make a new set to my own scale.  Kawai were
not as bad as Yamaha but they weren't brilliant either and properly
made and designed strings make a huge difference.

JD