etd's and ears

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Thu Feb 15 23:00:03 MST 2007

Hey Dave, Hey David,
I've long ago given up thinking that ETD's are in any way inferior. After 30
years I can still say I have never owned one, as a matter of fact I don't
think I have spent more that an hour with one. As for the school tunings,
etc. I can go on auto pilot with my ears. I can day dream about anything I
want (opps) and churn out a tuning in 30 minutes. Or, I can spend 2 hours
dissecting every interval up and down the keyboard, spending time locating
10-5 and 12-6 octaves in the bass. I can go as far as I want, or rip through
a temperment and octave up and down with 4th and 5th checks, then a quick
chromatic 10ths and double octaves, maybe octave 5th in the treble, this
stuff goes lighting fast if I want it to. I think an ETD would just slow me
down. I just can't see how a ETD could make something like school tunings
easier. If I were to start using one, it would probably be to enable me to
tune a piano better, in a critical situation, but I really have no
experience with them so I can't say. I would think that they are simply
another tool that can be used to improve one work if one is skilled in their
usage. I can't see myself getting one though, I'm having too much fun
enjoying tuning as an art, I'm still learning. And, I don't think my clients
would like it.
Fenton