etd's and ears

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 16 00:34:41 MST 2007

    *  does anyone do middle-out with an ETD as a matter of course?
    SNIP
    Annie Grieshop

I do as well.  In fact I set up a tuning template with tunelab based on
perfect 12ths. The entire curve uses only the 3rd partial of notes.  The
<<temperament>> 12th is simply a perfect 3:1 D3-A4 12th with a slightly
wide 4:2 A3-A4 octave inbetween split up into evenly spaced semitones.
The rest upwards are all perfect 3:1 12ths of notes in the temperament
area, and downwards I default to 6:3 octaves.

The whole curve being 3rd partials allows me at any time to visually
reference a host of relevant intervals.  Upwards the 5:4:3:2:1 partials,
which aurally work out to a major third, major sixth, tenth, double
tenth, double octave, two single octaves (one a 2:1 the other ad 4:2), a
5th and a 12th.  All without moving the dial as it were.  Very very easy
to compare visual information with aural.

So essentially... I tune with the ETD exactly like I do with my ear....
comparing back and forth all the way.

The bass is similiar approach. Tunelabs handy dandy partial switcher
allows me to look at any octave type very quickly if I want to switch
around a bit.

Cheers
RicB