ETDs & Pitch Corrections: Verituner

paul bruesch tunergeek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 18:54:04 MST 2007

A recent pitch raise with my RCT started -150c to -250c, so I selected the
>100c option on the PR screen. In the low bass I was having trouble getting
it to hear correctly, so I went up to C2, tuned that, then started down.
Well, the RCT expects you to go left-to-right, at least with that big a PR.
I tuned C2, then started playing B1, but the RCT jumped UP to C#2. It
apparently detected the note change and just assumed that C#2 was THAT
flat.  I finally figured out that I had to set the RCT down one note before
playing it, and then it would act like I wanted it to.

On a less-than-60c PR it does not behave this way.

BTW, a classmate of mine suggests tuning the A's, A1-A5, prior to
"calibrating" the RCT for a PR, then take the measurements, then flatten the
A's back to where they were. The RCT uses a moving 5-note average to
calculate overpull, so if the A's are still in tune during the PR, that
throws the subsequent A#, B, C, C# decreasingly flat. Also, the A's are
SIGNIFICANTLY flat during the second pass.