extreme winter weather/DC effectiveness

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Feb 17 00:07:18 MST 2007

Hi Barbara -
Here are some of my useless suggestions:
First, get yourself a good hygrometer.  I was using the
"professional" one from Pianotek (#CMM880) which worked nicely until
it stopped working.  I believe, however, that the specs Bob has in
the catalog are not correct.  The company lists that unit as accurate
+/- 5%, not 3%.  I (finally) replaced it with a somewhat better model
(Mannix EP8706) which IS listed as +/- 3%, plus, it is "field
calibratable", with the use of special salts.  All together with
shipping it was around $170.  A lot, true, but then, instead of
saying "It felt really dry",  you could say, "Yeah, it was 12%RH, (+
or - 3%) , and I'm sure of it because this thing here is really
expensive".  Of course, you would have to remember to bring it with you.

While I haven't yet employed the undercover, I have not doubt that
they can make some difference, however, I don't see how they, or
Damppchasers themselves, can help the finish, the block, the bridges,
or the action, when you have readings like 12%.  Maybe a vinyl cover,
in conjunction with an  undercover would help.

Just out of curiosity, let me know how much the April-Aire system costs.

Good luck -
David Skolnik