extreme winter weather/DC effectiveness

Marshall Connolly falcone1132 at tmlp.com
Sat Feb 17 09:55:47 MST 2007

Hi Barbara!

I have installed more D.C. systems than my back would care to remember.  I too, have been experiencing such drops in pitch in pianos WITH the system, whose owners are quite attentive to the needs of the piano.  In Massachusetts (near the Cape) I've been running around checking pads, humidistats (on the older systems) etc., trying to trouble-shoot the cause of this phenomenon.  My customers keep the pianos completely closed (grands) when not in use, and still, I get calls to "check" the tunings I did in September-December.  It's tough to charge them, even for a service call when I can't pin-point the exact nature of the situation.

My only thought is that this winter has become (at least here) so cold, and de-void of humidity, snow, rain, or something "wet" in the air, that the systems are doing their best to compensate, but inadequate under such extreme circumstances.  I have a room humidifier in the showroom (appx. 20'x25') and go through five gallons of h20 daily to keep the humidity level at 40%.  I still can't achieve 42%, no matter how hard I try.  I have pianos in the showroom with D.C. systems, and YET I still fill them weekly-- amid a 'somewhat' ambient climate (temp NEVER exceeds 67 degrees).

I have a large customer base (including universities, the local performing arts center, and several school systems) and I have never seen a winter that has been so rough on instruments.  Unless the pads haven't been changed and the old ones are really crusty (hence, ineffective), it's probably climate- not the system.  I can't speak to the issue of the under-covers- I've never installed one.   Hmmmm, time to chat with Wally & Vivian Brooks to see if they can get those!!!

This winter has become especially harsh on pianos--- and people.  I walk for an hour each day.  I made the mistake of doing that when it was 12 degrees in New Bedford, and ended up in the hospital with extreme bronchitis, and dual ear infections!
Maybe the folks at D.C. can give better recommendations, as for me, I'm just sharing some equal confusion about this situation, and hoping that someone will find a solution before I go broke trying to address it!!!

Stay warm-- but keep a BIG pan of water on the stove!  Humidity is our FRIEND--- now more than any winter in my 25 years tuning/rebuilding.  If any information becomes available, please email me at falcone1132 at tmlp.com.  Thanks, and have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,
Marshall Connolly, Jr.
Boston ChapterFrom: Barbara Richmond