grand hammer spacing/traveling

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Sat Feb 17 16:30:17 MST 2007

I've always traveled grand hammers so that they move straight up and
down, not drifting one way or the other, and then spaced them to the
strings. I've heard that there is another method - perhaps it's a
factory approach - of spacing the hammers more cosmetically (evenly
spaced), and then if necessary traveling the hammers to compensate
for the fact of uneven string spacing due to agraffe placement, so
that the hammers end up being "spaced" to the strings due to their
slight off-90 degree travel up to them.

I can understand the cosmetics argument from a manufacturing and
sales point of view (although I have to wonder how many pianists
would notice or be bothered by wonky hammer spacing necessitated by
uneven agraffe placement). What I'm uncertain about is whether or not
(and at what point) compromising hammer travel like this has an
impact in terms of uneven forces on the flange, possible voicing
issues, and other factors I may not be aware of.

Would it have to be fairly exaggerated for there to be consequences,
or might the slightest discrepancies have an effect? Is this a mostly
theoretical issue, or a practical one? I wonder if it's the kind of
thing that Stephen Birkett's photography explorations might somehow
shed light on.

I read some interesting list archives on spacing/traveling issues,
but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Any opinions on this
will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Allen Wright, RPT