M&A A

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sun Feb 18 07:57:36 MST 2007

It isn't ALWAYS bridge pins.  I suspect the reasons for false beats are many.

I got a call from a prospective client who was complaining of a false beat at the tenor treble break area (Maybe one note removed to the treble side).  Very bright chap.  He tunes his own piano sometimes when he can spare 5 hours, but doesn't want to do any technical work.  He was interested to know if his brand new Kemble grand's false beating note could be remedied by string replacement.  Like the other techs he asked, I was somewhat dubious that it would work, given its location and all.  But, since he agreed to pay for it and try to get reimbursed by Kemble, I agreed to give it a shot.

Sure enough, the offending beats disappeared with the replacement.  That was proof to me that while bridge pins may often be the cause, there may be other causes as well.

 Dave Stahl