etd's and ears (thanks ramble)

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Feb 18 15:59:39 MST 2007

No, that's not really what I meant at all.  I don't discriminate and tune
for all range of customers, willingly, and to pay the bills.  But the
demands of one will not be the same as another and where a calculated,
unchecked tuning might satisfy one customer, it may not satisfy another.
The problem is we don't really ever know in advance which category each
customer will fall into and I've been burned by relying on the machine over
my own sense of judgment.  My own personal experience (yours may be
different) is that I find that I veto more decisions made by the machine
than I would change my own aural decision by what the machine tells me.
Nevertheless, I do use a machine in the manner I outlined in my original
post.  I'm sorry if offense was taken (at least that's how I interpret your
post), it was not intended, nor was the post intended as an indictment of
ETD users (of which I happen to be one).  It was more intended as a
cautionary statement about relying on them too heavily.  I've found that
they simply aren't completely dependable on their own.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com