Piano fender-benders, was Re: Wheels

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 20 21:53:18 MST 2007

Oh My Gosh!  This brings me flashbacks to my CAU Tech days!  Besides being "Supervisor of Keyboard Services," I had the extra duty of hiring and supervising a staff of student stage managers, for the primary recital hall.

In my case, a stage manager was moving a concert grand from a position at the front of the stage where it was located for a piano concerto set up.  The treble castor of the piano truck went off the edge of the stage.  As the piano slid along the treble arm of the truck, it rotated to bring the keyboard parallel to the front row of seats in the auditorium.  By the time the treble leg could reach the floor below, the piano was tilting so much that it flipped upside-down.  Before the front edge of the lid could come to rest on the floor, the keyboard engaged the first row of seats, with three of the arm rests crushing groups of 3-4 keys into the action cavity.  The piano truck was ejected to the far end of the floor below the stage, while the piano was suspended upside-down, the keybed hanging on the front row of arm rests, and the rear portion of the lid hanging on the front edge of the stage.  The supreme irony was that the person who would be responsible for repairing the damage (myself) was also the offending stage manager's boss!   The errant stage manager was reassigned to the piano shop, for first-hand experience dealing with the consequences of his carelessness.

Frank Emerson
piano guru at earthlink.net