grand damper problem

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 21 19:19:43 MST 2007

You have good points. And hence why I said "I do agree that is the optimal way to go" (a mentor or whatever). I don't in any way want to discourage anyone from seeking advice from an experience technician - or even hiring them to assist you (or the other way around). No, that is excellent! I just never had anyone make that offer to me, and didn't know anyone who seemed approachable to ask.

My point was that if you are on your own, do your book/tape/reference education, analyze the situation, and if you think you are ready for that next step, go for it - realizing, of course, the potential pitfalls. Don't be reckless, be careful about the piano and piano owner you choose, but don't be afraid to try something new that you have researched and think you are ready for.

Case in point:  I did the Potter course in winter/spring 1997. Never saw the inside of a piano before that, never played a piano. Started tuning for pay in May 1997 (scary thought....). In July of '97 I got introduced to a local piano teacher - I really forget how - I may have called her out of the blue. But she was a good classical pianist (MS Piano Performance, FSU), elderly, had an old recently restrung Baldwin R (which had a zillion-year old action with 900,000 miles on it). We talked and I offered to tune/service her piano for free in return for her critical analysis of my work. She is fairly strapped for cash and she said yes.

On the first visit she complained about a heavy action. She had some disease with her finger joints (not arthritis, but similar) and could not play a heavy action. Indeed, this thing had down weights in the 70+ gram range.

I explained very clearly to her what my qualifications (or lack thereof) were for this kind of work and offered to try to fix her action for free - just repay me for parts. Someone had put some very heavy Yamaha hammers on the action. I looked at action geometry (what little I may have known about it at the time) and most things looked okay. We put Abel lights on and new Abel shanks and flanges - I think we moved the knuckles out a tad (actually, not so much for geometry - although that helped certainly - but rather because the jacks where getting buried into the felt at the end of the rep lever slot - hey, Randy Potter covers that!). I refurbished the wippens (probably put 60+ hours into them - would have been much cheaper to replace - but remember, education!). I don't remember how many leads the keys had in them - likely didn't know enough to even look. Had Wally Brooks do all the hammer hanging, etc. (excellent work). Bottom line was that we got the action DW down just below 50 grams with decent upweight (didn't know anything about balance weight, etc. at the time). I remember it took me at least three full-day tries (probably longer) to get the action regulated (my first regulation). But darn that action plays very nice. She loves it - she can play it with her crooked weak fingers. And holy Hanna did I get whole $#!%-load of action experience with that one action!

Maybe I was foolish, but all seems to have worked out well....

Terry Farrell