Frank Botefuhr grand

Paul Mulik tubist at swbell.net
Thu Feb 22 06:16:10 MST 2007

The other day I was given an old baby grand.  The only name I can find is a
small decal on the plate, with the name "Frank L. Botefuhr Love Nest
Pianos."  The only thing Pierce has to say about the Botefuhr brand is "made
by M. Schultz," which apparently was an alternate spelling of "M. Schulz &
Co." (p. 312 in the 11th edition).  Is it safe to assume that the dates
listed for Schulz serial numbers will be correct for the Botefuhr?  If so,
this piano is from 1910, which seems about right.  I'm guessing this piano
is a stencil; if a dealer were to apply a decal to a no-name piano, the
plate would be the easiest place to put it.

Thank you,
Paul Mulik
Joplin, MO