Long term pitch drop, was: Type O

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Feb 22 23:25:53 MST 2007

>>> /Implicit in your questioning is another question: Can't we build a
>>> piano that is more stable?  The answer to that is: Yes, but it wouldn't
>>> sound much like a piano./
>>> //
>>> /Frank Emerson/
>> And the other answer is yes, we can, and have, and yes, it
>> will, and does.
>> Ron N
>
> If you point of reference is a Grand-Kincaid spinet, then I will accept
> your answer to the question, over mine.
>
> If you point of reference is the finest that the piano industry has
> produced to date, I'll stick to my answer, Thank you very much!
>
> Frank

Actually, it was referring to, among others, a redesign and
remanufacture of a Steinway D currently residing at SMU in
Dallas. It's more pitch stable than the original design, and
so far still devoid of the characteristic false beats and
duplex noises we've all grown to know and love. A number of
folks who have heard it seem to think it sounds remarkably
like a piano too.
Ron N