Profit from dusty pianos

PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com
Fri Feb 23 10:46:05 MST 2007

I notice that many housewives are neurotic about dust - -when you open the
piano, they come in with their rags and start cleaning away. Now here's a way
to  profit from their neuroses. Tell them that there's probably more dust under
the  keys than they'll ever see in their lifetimes, and that for a service
charge  you'll take apart the piano, remove the keys, and vacuum out 50 years
(or whatever) of accumulated dust. Make sure they're watching as the vacuum
sucks up a half inch layer of the gray stuff. (It might pay to keep a good  old
Electrolux in your car, and tell the customer "I have a special vacuum
cleaner and a special attachment just for this type of work.) Forever after,
they'll probably remember the cleaning of the piano much more than the tuning,  and
will call you back periodically just to dust out the old bomb. They may  even
start recommending you to their neurotic friends, too. I often think of
advertising "Pianos Cleaned and Dusted" in some fancy neighborhoods. It might be
so lucrative that I could end up giving up tuning and repairing!

Jesse Gitnik
In it since 1980
http://www.aol.com.