Endless discussions / good or bad ?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Feb 24 05:55:14 MST 2007

Hi folks

I've thinking a bit about the recent comments about threads that never
go away, thinking about some of the stuff we've seen tossed around this
past couple years, and thinking about some subject matter that we seem
to have stopped talking about... or even see some advise folks not to
talk about...

Seems to me that there is nothing wrong per se with round after round on
familiar themes.  And the only reason I see for not talking about any
particular subject matter (piano related especially since this is a
pianotech list) is the one that goes along the lines of <<avoiding
arguments / flames / etc).  Such a reason for not talking about
something is not the most flattering statement about we as humans IMHO.
Strikes me that there are many many good reasons for continuing dialouge
on a host of subject matter, even if any particular one of us is rather
sure of ourselves for the time being. Again.. this last sorte into
string seating is a good example.

We had a new fellow with limited experience and/or exposure to the
discussion about this proceedure asking a question.... seeking new
perspectives and answers.  What he got was a couple three very short
posts on mine and two or three others thinking, a refereal to the
archives and an article, and a warning to not bother taking up the
subject matter further because it was a hot potatoe.  Not exactly the
most enlightening of dialouges.

I see several very good reasons why we should make every attempt to
continue discussion of just about any theme regardless of its
controversial nature.

1. Introduction of such discussion themes to new readers who
continuously check in.
2. Developing and displaying in ourselves the ability and desire to
recheck our own thinking by courteously dealing with others thoughts
regardless of how much in dissagreement we are.
3. Inherent admissions in said (2) that go along the lines of awareness
that we may always be wrong (or right) in our thinking.
4. Setting the example of comradeship and fellowship that is at the
core  spirit of not only the PTG's stated values, (and I might add most
of the worlds religions)

I could go on and on I suppose.  Perhaps others have a few other reasons
to keep talking about hot issues.  The only one for not doing so strikes
me as a self declaration of futility... one I dont accept personally.
The alternative seems to me to let the list dissolve into a daily diary
of harmless niceties that no one really learns much from.

I for one will never refuse to talk or communicate to anyone at all. I
reject utterly the thought of doing so.  Seeking contact, building
relationships is as much a part of this list, organization, and
fellowship as it is anything else.

Cheers
RicB