First Ecsaine Install

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Feb 24 06:14:29 MST 2007

>Remove the hammer rest rail and the hammer spring rail, unhook the
>bridal tapes and >you can do this repair with the hammers flipped
>over the back of the rail.  No need to >remove and re-install the
>hammers.  Ed Sutton

Impossible.  What a colossal pain it would be to scrape off the
catcher, dig the
old material out of the slot and scrape off the top edge of the butt material
with the darned things in place.  Talk about slow goin'.  With my luck, a few
flanges would break and many more bushings would be enlarged.
It seems to me that you would have to also remove the dampers
for the hammers to fall that way for access to each butt.

The time it takes to remove and reinstall the hammers is a fraction of the time
it would take to recover while attached, in the way of each other.
Plus, with the hammers removed you can expediently file the hammers.

Sorry, I'm all for easier ways to do things but that definitely is
not one of them.

It actually took each butt being held in a vise and a saw blade to
clean the slot.
The Corfam lifted off the top edge and I first went on either side of the slot
with a blade to cut it free. A few carefully guided strokes of the
saw cleared the
slot to receive the new material. Then with a hacksaw blade held at an acute
angle, I scraped the residue from the top edge.

Then I secured the catcher in the vise and had to use a chisel to get
the Corfam
lifting at the bottom edge to get enough to grip and peeled it off. The hacksaw
blade cleaned/scraped/scored the surface.

I know that if a project is worth doing, it's worth doing twice.
I pulled out all the stops to make sure this is a one-shot deal.
--

Regards,

Jon Page