strip muting with sheet metal

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Mon Feb 26 03:04:59 MST 2007

Once again; I would suggest using a piece of angled aluminum - my
piece is about 6-7" long, and an inch wide on either side, at a 90
degree angle; simply lift the dampers with the pedal, slide the
aluminum piece in behind and on top of them, and then with a short
ruler of some sort  push the strip down all the way underneath the
dampers (which are completely protected from damage by the aluminum
strip). You can then remove the aluminum and proceed to tune as you
normally would. Sheet metal bent at 90 degrees would work also, of
course. The aluminum is nice and light, though, and just the right
configuration.

The dampers then work normally, and you can pull out the strip one
note (actually two) at a time as you work your way up, unmuting one
string on each of the two unisons (so you need to have tuned the
center string up in the next unison before you pull the strip, if
you're tuning unisons as you go - otherwise, just tune center strings
all the way up, and then begin to pull the strip as you tune outside
strings to the center strings on the way up).

I then only have to use the rubber mute (with the magnet attached on
a string) on unisons that may slip or need touching up afterwards.

I hope this is helpful.

Allen Wright, RPT

On 26 Feb 2007, at 00:22, John Formsma wrote:

> You probably have a piece of stiff cardboard around the house that
> you could cut and use temporarily. I've taken the metal from a VCR
> housing to make stuff with. Might find something around your house.
> <grin>
>
> JF
>
> On 2/25/07, pianotune05 at comcast.net <pianotune05 at comcast.net > wrote:
> Is there a subsitute for sheet metal?  I don't have a shop. I
> wonder if they still make these metal rulers that were kinda fat
> and flimsy, and is so would that work?
> Marshall

Allen Wright
6 Clay Court, 219 Long Lane