strip muting with sheet metal

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Mon Feb 26 15:38:16 MST 2007

Dale,

You're talking about what you use to put the strip between the
strings here, right? The angled aluminum piece I'm describing is used
to cover and protect the dampers, so that I can then push the already
inserted strip down underneath the dampers with the straightedge (or
whatever - long enough that it pushes the strip all down at once in
the damper area, then pushing the rest of it down higher up).

I've tried the Papp mute and found it less convenient. I like having
a temperament strip firmly muting the strings, and find I can
concentrate more on tuning and less on moving a mute around -
especially since in that area where there's so little room above the
dampers to operate in. Different strokes for different folks...

Cheers,

Allen