temperament strip installation tool

A440 Piano Service a440 at bresnan.net
Mon Feb 26 21:05:35 MST 2007

Hello all,

I've enjoyed reading the thread on installing temperament strips below the treble dampers.  I thought I'd share with you the tool I use to install temperament strips.  I'm attaching a .jpg and I hope it gets through.  But in case it doesn't, or if you don't want to bother opening it, here's the description.  It's a simple 6" steel ruler with a modification.  Ward Guthrie suggested to me that I use a steel ruler instead of a screwdriver to push the felt strip between strings.  It offers a wider end than a screwdriver AND gives you the longer flat surface used to push gangs of felt loops exactly where you want them.  I've really liked the idea, but the only drawback was that the end of the ruler dug rather painfully into my palm.  Well, I solved that by simply taking a rubber foot designed for a percussion stand (snare drum, cymbal, et al) with a narrow slit-type opening and put it on one end of the ruler.  Obviously, the rubber foot end goes into the palm.  Even the angle of the foot on the end contributes to increased comfort.

Hope this helps somebody.

John Dorr
Helena, MT