strip muting with sheet metal

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Feb 26 22:18:18 MST 2007

Sorry Allen
   Now I get it .we are talking uprights? right? I  still use the same tool.
Push in the mute & lift the dampers  & slide  er down

 Dale

Dale,

You're talking about what you use to put the strip between the strings  here,
right? The angled aluminum piece I'm describing is used to cover and  protect
the dampers, so that I can then push the already inserted strip down
underneath the dampers with the straightedge (or whatever - long enough that  it
pushes the strip all down at once in the damper area, then pushing the rest  of it
down higher up).

I've tried the Papp mute and found it less convenient. I like having a
temperament strip firmly muting the strings, and find I can concentrate more  on
tuning and less on moving a mute around - especially since in that area  where
there's so little room above the dampers to operate in. Different  strokes for
different folks...

Cheers,

Allen

http://www.aol.com.