Square grand regulating specs, please!!!

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Feb 27 11:53:07 MST 2007

You should be able to tell by taking a good look at your typical what
works perspective with the action.  That said.... dip was quite
typically 6-8 mm on older squares. I dont know if 1870 Stieff qualifies
as being that old... but I would be suprised if it was much deeper then
8 mm.

Hammers you make yourself. Not a big problem. Jurgen should have useable
felt.  Doeskin was often used in layers... all or some of them.

I've always set the dampers to engage at half blow regardless of the
actions specs with older instruments.  I find this works out the best.
Earlier and the darn things are usually miles above the strings at full
blow, and later yeilds a weird touch.

Cheers
RicB

    I'm doing an 1870's Stieff. Does anyone know what the
    key height, key dip, let-off and checking should be
    set at? Also: when in the keystroke should the dampers
    engage  And where can I get a set of those itty-bitty
    hammers ???

       Thanks!