mutes

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Tue Feb 27 18:24:04 MST 2007

As a rule on any older upright, I strip mute the bass.  This does two
things for me - it prevents sympathetic ringing from the damper leakage
when I am tuning the tenor and treble, and when I tune the bass, I
simply pull out the strip bit by bit as I work my way down.  No
sticking in of mutes for me.  As for inserting a strip mute, I don't
know why it should  take more than 20 seconds.  (I don't bother with
stuffing the strip below the dampers.)

To push the strip in, I use  my European flange spacing tool.  It is
wide and slim, just what I find useful.  And, it spaces flanges!

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com