Birdcage Tech, Baldwin String Breakage

paul bruesch tunergeek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 17:52:14 MST 2007

On the string breakage note, yesterday I had A1 and A#1 break in a school
band room piano... Yamaha P22, 1993 vintage. I was pretty surprised, but it
does get used LOTS, and I think it's been abused. Bruises all over,
miserable environment conditions (75 degrees, 18% humidity at 5pm... in west
central Wisconsin... in February). Soundboard is cracked, hammers are more
grooved than most home-based pianos (of that era) I see. The front-to-rear
base extensions (the front legs attach to them over the casters) are
metal-bracketed (after-market (by the school maintenance dept??)) in an
apparent repair effort. Sad.