repairing broken bass strings

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 01:57:24 MST 2007

the other day someone wrote something about using broken bass strings again.
Obviously it´s quite common in the USA. Here in Germany they didn´t teach us
that technique in the class and I never heard from colleagues about it. But
I saw it 2 or 3 times in a piano (from some thousands I tuned). Seems to be
lost knowledge of the ancient masters here. I would like to learn how to do
that. The knot (or loop/joint whatever) I am talking about is like this:

http://www.ff-schoenkirchen.de/Archiv/Ausbildung/Knoten/Kreuzknoten/kreuzknoten.html

It´s no problem to do that with a cord, I tried that sucessfully. But there
must be a trick to do that with strong bass strings which are less flexible
than just a band. Is there a good online ressource with pictures like the
link above? Perhaps there is a special tool for that? A special gauge or
die? If not, it would be worth to invent one.

Any ideas?

Gregor