The Wristwatch: An ETD?

David Renaud drjazzca at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 28 06:30:43 MST 2007

   Regarding a watch and setting beat speeds.
NO problem, you still need to hear the beats,
demonstrate hearing them by setting them aurally,
as opposed to visually stopping lights. The rule
related to all visual aids showing pitch.

    Regarding use of a machine after part one.
During part 2, you may retune any part of the
temperament and midrange you wish. They are
not rescored. Choosing to correct errors here
will improve test notes for yourself.  The notes
 of your temp. octave are remeasured when marking
part 2 for the purpose of setting a drift offset but are not
rescored. They are also will be remeasured and
pounded with the appropriate force, remeasuring yet again
for movement, testing for stability.

                                          David Renaud

  My understanding is that no ETDs are allowed during the temperament
  section of the RPT tuning exam...

  However, I know a few technicians who use the second hand on their
  analog wrist watch as a guide to set beat speeds.

  So a wrist watch is technically a electronic device that assists with
  tuning. Does that make it an ETD and therefore disallowed during
  the tuning exam?

  [k]