Ecsaine

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jan 1 11:15:19 MST 2007

> I know Ecsaine comes in black.  Does it come in red, too?  I have a 1981
> Baldwin Hamilton that I want to sell.  I've been warned that Baldwins of
> this vintage used Ecsaine, and although the backchecks and hammer butts
> are covered in something that is roughly the color of buckskin (it's a
> bit redder than most buckskin...) it's very smooth, and I suspect it may
> actually be Ecsaine.
>
> The piano is checking and playing fine, so it's not a problem I need to
> address, I don't think, but just for my own enlightenment, could this be
> Ecsaine?

What, again? It may be Ecsaine, but it's nothing to be warned
about if it is. Ecsaine is the currently used "good stuff"
that eventually replaced most all of the other problematic
artificial buckskin attempts. Baldwin used a black stuff that
left sticky dust all over the inside of the piano, and a gray
substance of some sort. I don't know what either stuff is, but
both are nasty. Corfam (tan) was used successfully for a
while, until the manufacturer changed the formula without
bothering to notify Baldwin, and left thousands of pianos with
quickly petrifying butt and catcher "leathers". I've not seen
anything original in Baldwins that I'd call red.

Ecsaine is sold in the US as Ultrasuede, in Europe as
Alcantara, and in Asia as Ecsaine. It is the fix, rather than
the problem. Your Baldwin may have already had the originally
installed junk replaced, or Baldwin may have switched to
Ecsaine by then. I don't know the date they made the switch.

Ron N