[Files] Queen Victorias piano?

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jan 4 07:51:08 MST 2007

   Hi
     I have been called on to build a belly for a historic piano.  It
is ornately carved & inlayed with wooden type marketry laid in a a
picture frame orientation the entire circumfrance of the case.
    It's maker, John Brinsmead & Son from about 1850 in London, had
some interesting ideas about sound boards. It's straight strung with
the grain orientation running an odd direction to the bridge. The rib
layout is rather conventional with interesting  rib connecting
device.  Also not shown  on the top side of board in the bass corner
is  the sound board cutoff, but floating & held down in some kind of
attempt to allow for screw tension to adjust the crown of the board.
I would have taken more picture but the D----- batteries you Know
went dead.  ugghhh
     The cabinetry is receiving extensive restoration  by an
incredible craftsmen in San Diego. The piano was on it's side when
these pics were taken. The entire piano is getting a french polish
finish the likes of which I have never seen.  Truly impressive.
    The Royal crest used by the Queen is located in the treble side
of the case where the Modern folks put there decals.  It's being
researched as to it's authenticity but from what I understand one
doesn't use the royal crest without permission of the Royals or
it's .......auff weeth ees Ed.
     I'm quite sure given by the extreme nature of the amount of
carving & detail that Mr Brinsmead probably didn't make a dime making
this piano but certainly retained the braggin (marketing) rights for
future sales, if you know what I mean.  Oddly The plate has a screw
stringer type arrangement with the pins sticking uot the direction
towards the player.  It is reported to have been easy to
tune....we'll see
   Have fun
   Dale Erwin

http://tinyurl.com/ycu99n