Regluing hammer felts continued

Dave Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 4 20:05:23 MST 2007

On 1/4/07, Farrell quoth:

>That happens all the time. If they are popping off on both sides,
>just take the entire hammer felt piece off - it's easier to get the
>glue in there anyway when they are off.
>
>Just pop them off, accelerator on the core, CA on the felt, put in
>place on core, one hand with fingers on the hammer felt tip and
>thumb on the rear core pressing the tip into the core, and the other
>hand with fingers clamping felt on top and bottom. Hold for a few
>seconds until CA sets and go to next one.

This is exactly right. It works just fine. I have done this a number
of times for folks with no other solution, you may not want to sign
your name to it but it'll get you a bunch of equally crappy referels,
work is work. Since the storm I have seen so many, especially
Baldwin, hammers popping off from weeks in high humidity I just haul
around a stash of extra thick glue and the spritzer. You cant work on
Bosendorfers every day, at least I cant. Just had a customer move
back from Dallas to his Steinway M, after what 16 months with a
borrowed spinet. He said in Plano he couldnt get a tuner to come,
they all asked what he had and then said "Oh, I dont work on those."
Ya'll must be doing well over there! :-)
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus, RPT
New Orleans