electronics replacing pianos?

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Thu Jan 4 20:26:15 MST 2007

I remember a number of years ago reading about a test performed using live
and recorded music to see if a listener could tell the difference. They set
up a room with a blind down the middle between an acoustic guitar player and
a test audience. In other words, they could not see each other but everyone
could hear just fine. Sitting next to the guitar player was a high quality
speaker. They had recorded that guitar player in that exact position prior
to the test playing the same piece that he was going to play live. They then
brought in the test audience and had them listen to both the live guitar
player and the recording without telling them which was which. The audience
guessed the live player correctly every single time. What they ultimately
proved is that no matter how good the recording and the playback systems,
there is always some extra lows and some extra highs and some extra nuance
that just plain won't record or playback. I think the same holds true for
even the high-end sampled electronic pianos today. They do sound pretty darn
good, but they don't really sound real. And I don't think that they will be
able to reproduce a real enough sound from an electronic device anytime soon
enough for it to effect many of us. On the other hand, as is the case with
today's professionally recorded music, MP3 compression and the iPOD, the
listener's expectations and ability to care about the difference will likely
erode much faster. So, the demise of the acoustic piano may just come from
an increasing audience of players and listeners that no longer know,
remember, or care what a real piano sound(ed) like, rather than the
electronic version becoming good enough to actually replace it.

2 cents, and change.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles