Fandrich Handout Error

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jan 6 18:46:29 MST 2007

Hi folks

Been reviewing Delwins handout entitled "Piano Scalemaking" and noticed
in the formula he gives for/ J  /(string stiffness) what appears to be
an error and I'd apreciate a correction/clarification.

The formula reads   J = (pi^2Yd^2kL^2K)/32  and both Y and K are defined
as being 1.9 * 10^11 N/m^2.

Doesnt sound likely that Both Y and K would be of an identical such
value without some further simplification... ends up being Y ^2 or K^2.

Can somebody clear this up for me ?  I'd also like to know what the
small k value is.  It is defined as an unspecified numerical constant in
the handout.

Cheers
RicB