Pianotech Digest, Vol 1283, Issue 38

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 7 16:13:43 MST 2007

Jeff,

I'm afraid that if the whites are hitting the blacks' front rail
punchings before their own on the bench, they will probably do the same
in the piano.  You've got to either lower the black front rail punchings
relative to the whites, or raise the whites relative to the blacks.  If
the black and white dips are both OK and roughly equal, then I would
guess the black height is too high above the whites.  If you can lower
the blacks, then you can remove punchings from the black front rail.
What's your black key height right now?  and when you play a black key,
how much of it remains above the surface of the whites?

Mike