freebies, take 'em

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Jan 9 11:22:34 MST 2007

Ditto.

Often I'll move the pin back and forth on what would otherwise be a freebie,
and prove to my satisfaction that it really was centered. If it is in tune
from 3-6 months ago and neither firm test blows move it nor nudging of the
hammer back and forth, that string ain't going anywhere. When I come back in
6 months and find it just as stable I feel I have enough anecdotal evidence
to not feel bad in taking some freebies.

I have lots of pianos with climate control systems on regular schedules that
are very solid when I start tuning. In that situation, if the string is on
and firm test blows are not moving it, why would I want to disrupt it? My
feelings (and experience) are the string will be more solid if I leave it
alone.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272