Grand Caster Replacement

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 10 08:00:33 MST 2007

  _____

Subject: Grand Caster Replacement

Hey Now,

I have a project that I am going to attempt a bid on. I'm searching for
advise.

I take care of a somewhat unique Steinway C #281753 on board the Queen Mary
in Long Beach. The uniqueness is that is part of the ships original
equipment built in 1936. The piano is in not too good of shape but it does
play.

The crew broke off two casters while moving it after New Years Eve.

First the casters currently on the piano hardly seem adequate for a piano
this large. I suspect that someone has replaced them already at least once.
Honestly the wheels on there now don't seem to be meant for a piano. But I
could be wrong. Second, it has an unusual arrangement wherein there are
pedestals (for lack of a better description), on either side of the key bed
instead of legs. Each pedestal has two wheels, on the tail is a large
pedestal with three wheels or casters on it.

I searched the archives with not much luck other than one post recommending
Darnell double wheels.

Any advise on how to go about doing this job, recommended resources, what
type of wheels/casters to use. I'll be looking through my catalogs and books
tonight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I get the job (they are
considering letting their own maintenance crew do it), I will have some help
laying the piano on its side. After that I'm on my own.

Steve

Pura Vida

Steve Blasyak

Forte Piano Supply www.pianofortesupply.com
<http://www.pianofortesupply.com/>  carries a set of heavy duty but good
looking casters that can be locked to prevent rolling.  Also, Pianotek
www.pianoteksupply.com <http://www.pianoteksupply.com/>   carries several
replacement casters of very good quality for grand pianos. Both are good
companies to deal with.

Paul C