Tripoli

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 11 10:47:31 MST 2007

Subject: Tripoli

 I have the task of buffing and cleaning up some old ivory keys.  I ordered
a bar of tripoli from Schaff.  I know I'm going to show my ignorance here,
but how do I go about this?  The Tripoli is very hard.  How do I use it as a
buffing compound?

Joey Recker

Tripoli in brick form, is used to "load" a cloth buffing wheel, usually
fitted to a grinder. This can be hand-held, like a Dremel, or a bench model
used for grinding whatever needs it, and sharpening tools,etc. These spin at
about 3500 rpm's, which can be good for metal, but takes much practice to
learn the skills of polishing.  If you are considering such a machine, look
for one that's about 1800 rpm. They have been showing up in tool catalogs
lately. You'll enjoy the control in both grinding and polishing. BTW,
lapidary (rock) shops carry an array of buffing compounds in stick form. Try
to get some small samples to experiment on other items like brass hardware.
But, decide from the get go that you are going to PRACTICE!

Paul C