electronics replacing pianos?

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Thu Jan 11 18:11:56 MST 2007

Ric,
Seems as though you're presenting the age old sequel of need, invention,
acceptance, social relevance, refinement, re-enforcement, standard of use,
decline and replacement, nostalgic re-introduction, historical footnote.

Where are we in this saga? I would think somewhere closer to re-enforcement,
where multiple ideas with multiple solutions are, in fact, being tried and
used everyday in regards to electronic production of sound.

It wasn't that long ago that Tomita pretty well defined a genre with his
music on the synthesizer. Now the barriers that were breached by those early
beginnings are being surpassed everyday by more complex instruments, musical
idioms and musicians capable of evoking a favorable response from an ever
growing audience.

We're a long way from the ultimate evolution of electronic musical devices,
and this century will see the rise of piano-like instruments and other
creations that will greatly expand the musical landscape. It is only natural
to assume that history will ever repeat itself and even those yet undreamed
of  devices will be replaced by further advances in technology, only to fall
from favor and be replaced by more exotic devices, ad infinitum.

Will there be room in the musical circus for historical instruments of our
time? Can we look back on the changing scenarios of yesterday for
comparison? Will we continue to pursue a narrow spectrum of now historical
musical literature as the only defining criteria for "serious" music?

 The forces that dictate change will always be a varied lot. Materials for
production of traditional instruments, like the piano, may fall into
jeopardy due to rising costs, ecological concerns and incentives for profit.
Add in the composer's palate of tonal colors available in the future for
electronic production and the musical vista looks very broad, indeed. The
piano represents only a tiny slice of the musical pie today. I don't see it
getting larger in future as the market now exists. Then of course we have
always the acceptance factor of our future musical audiences. What will they
like? What will they be able to demand? How will their musical itch be
scratched? Might future audiences be more involved in the creative process
of music? Will there be more interaction with other media? Should I pass on
my tuning hammer to the next generation? :-)

Sorry, I just have questions, not much in the way of answers. But I sure
wish I could be around to see how some of my questions are going to get
answered!
Joseph Alkana RPT