ergonomics/Plumber Envy?

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 13 09:57:56 MST 2007

I've noticed, over the years, a lot of animosity towards plumbers here on the list.  They are always used as the example of high-paid servicemen that we should charge just as much as.

I don't disagree with that notion, but I'm not sure where this idea that "they walk through the front door and we have to go through the back" comes from.

  Musicians have complained for decades about being asked to come in through the kitchen door, so maybe it's just a music thing.  There's even a joke about St. Peter asking the musician to enter heaven through the kitchen door rather than the Pearly Gates.  (I guess the piano tuner version of that joke would be that the plumber goes through the Pearly Gates, but we're asked to enter through the back door?)

  I hate paying plumbers as much as anyone, but I'm beginning to wonder if there is some deep-seated plumbing-related resentment rife among piano tuners.  Perhaps it's just jealousy.  After all, they learn their trade probably in one-tenth of the time it takes us to learn ours, and yet they make as much as we do, if not more.

  Of course, on the down side, they often have to work in excrement, and although we may occasionally refer to an old Gulbransen as a POS, they LITERALLY have to work with P'sOS on a daily basis!  (That's worth a few bucks, I'd say!)

  Just kidding around here, hope nobody gets all hot and bothered over this...

Tom Sivak
  Chicago

Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> When I get to the
> job--especially institutional gigs where I have to walk a distance--

Yea, why is that? The plummer or HVAC man drives right up to
the door with no problem, but the piano tech usually gets to
hoof it in from the far reaches of the parking lot, regardless
of what has to be hauled in or out.

Ron N