ergonomics/Plumber Envy?

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Sat Jan 13 13:45:24 MST 2007

  _____

Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 08:57:56 -0800
From: tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: ergonomics/Plumber Envy?
To: pianotech at ptg.org

Musicians have complained for decades about being asked to come in through the
kitchen door, so maybe it's just a music thing.  There's even a joke about St.
Peter asking the musician to enter heaven through the kitchen door rather than
the Pearly Gates.  (I guess the piano tuner version of that joke would be that
the plumber goes through the Pearly Gates, but we're asked to enter through the
back door?)

Some years back I serviced a piano in a very large home owned by some very
affluent folks. They were nice folks but they did rather want to be sure
everyone was in his or her proper place in the social pecking order.

I was always greeted at the front door by a maid/secretary/PA (or whatever) and
taken directly to the piano. On one of these visits I noticed that another
service man of some sort who came to the front door was asked to go around back
to the service entrance.

I must have looked surprised because the maid later explained. It seems that
several years before I came along the family was throwing a big party which
included live music in the form of a well-known local pianist. The piano had
been tuned earlier in the week and had been moved to a place of honor in the
center of the "entertainment room" and everything was good to go.

The pianist showed up at the front door at the appointed time and was asked to
go around back to the service entrance. It was, it seems, a dark and stormy
night and the treck to the back might have looked some daunting. Or, perhaps,
the pianist was just irritated at what must have seemed like a strange request
since one could fairly easily see the piano through the open front door and he
could have walked directly to it.

For whatever reason, without a word he simply turned around, returned to his car
and drove away. It was obviously too late to find a replacement and the party
went on without live music. And from that day on anyone having anything to do
with the piano came in through the front door while the rest of the various
service people it takea to maintain a house like that came in through the back
service entrance.

Del