false beats, real jazz and satisfaction

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 14 20:09:19 MST 2007

Gregor Wrote:

> By the way: why are false beats always stronger at the left of the 3
strings
> in the treble? I noticed that on many ocasions but I have no explanation
for
> that.

While this subject is sure to raise the hackles of some on the list, I do
have a theory about this.  On a treble bridge (upright or grand), the front
bridge pin for the left string of each unison is nearest the outer edge of
the bridge, on the speaking length side.  These strings will bear the brunt
of the impact of any forward "roll" of the bridge.

Frank Emerson