Hearing Aids and Cell Phones problems

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 15 21:05:02 MST 2007

les said: "
Would such a gizmo be available for cell phones for hearing impaired folks?
I tune with hearing aids, and do fairly well by them, but am finding cell
phones becoming a problem for hearing....

les,
The problem is caused by several factors. 1. most/all cell phones are digital, so the "magnetic pickup" thingee in most hearing aids go bonkers. 2. There is usually a lot of background noise, so you hear all of that as well, if you don't hit the Magnetic Pickup switch. Most hearing aid wearers have the false notion that turning the darned things UP will help you to hear better! The opposite is the case in noisy situations. When I answer my cell phone, out in the field, I adjust my left aid, (best ear), down so it just barely doesn't  feed back when I put the phone up to my ear, snuggly. I've found that that will afford me the best clarity. You'll need to move the phone around in a circular motion to find the alignment of speaker and microphone. After a while it'll be a habit. I hope that helps.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I