Another Tough Tuning Environment (2 tuners in same room)

Robin Blankenship tunerdude at comcast.net
Tue Jan 16 09:55:47 MST 2007

I've been waiting a long time for a spot to relate this little story...
Having heard from other techs in my raw rookie days about difficult tuning
situations, I decided to inoculate myself by practice tuning with the opera
on full blast in my shop on Saturday afternoons. That little bit of
silliness paid off handsomely later.

I was once in a guy's house, tuning his piano in the living room while, at
the same time, he was right around the corner from me in the kitchen,
running a chain saw, cutting up his ceiling predatory to remodeling. I
figured that if I could get through Verdi and Wagner and Der Rosenkavalier
in one piece, a mere screaming two-stroke chainsaw motor would be easy.

Well, maybe not exactly 'easy', but it was doable. And, like Jim, it was a
decent tuning when all was done.

A few years later, while working for a retail piano outfit, I had to crash
tune a rented grand on a bandstand, while the band was warming up and a
freight train was rumbling by not 50 feet away from me.

Once again, it was the Texaco Metropolitan Opera to the rescue.

We miss you, Milton Cross!!!

Robin Blankenship