Tuning Lever for a Beginner

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 16 11:26:20 MST 2007

"To me, it seems silly for a complete novice to go out and buy an
expensive tuning lever. It's likely I'll eventually get a Fujan, but I'm
looking for some advice on what to do right now. I was thinking about
just buying a cheap Fisher Price lever on ebay to start with, and then
spend more money once I'm further along."

The best Advice I can give you is: Never Buy A Cheap Tool!! However, you don't need a Mazarati for Commuting.<G> I suggest a moderate priced Tuning Lever from Piano Tech or Schaff. The cheap ones will drive you nuts, take my word on that. A prime example of Cheap vs Other: All through Grade School/High School I had an adequate Cornet. It served me well, so I thought, (I was second chair). In my Senior year, the first chair had been gifted a Selmer Paris Trumpet. We were playing duets and I conned her into letting me try her horn. The moment I played that Instrument, the light went on! I had better tone. I could play faster. I could play higher and lower. I was a better player because of that horn!<G> I conned my Mom into buying me one, shortly after that incident.<G>
Happy learning,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I