puzzler: vertical damper pedal problem

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Jan 16 13:18:51 MST 2007

List,

Went to tune a Sohmer console (although the problem in question was not
necessarily specific to this make).  Client complained that the damper
pedal wasn’t working well.  Dampers were coming off the strings when
the pedal was fully depressed, but just barely.  I turned down the nut
on the threaded rod attached to the pedal to time the lift sooner.  Not
enough time on that visit to determine why it had gone out of
adjustment (assuming it had ever been IN adjustment).  Problem
solved….until several months later when the client called that the
damper pedal was again not working, making playing her piano a
“hateful” experience.  Well, we can’t have that, said I, so off I went
to get to the bottom if this problem.  Turned out to be something I
hadn’t seen before.  Can you guess what it was?

Cheers,

Alan Eder