troublesome upright damper pedal

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Tue Jan 16 20:22:05 MST 2007

Hi Ron,

UST-7.  First, I pulled the action to have a look.  The damper lift rod was
normal, that is, a split rod treble/bass and the treble lifted the bass.
When I saw that I knew I could go ahead with the surgery.  Though the
bracket placement on the levers wasn't the same (and I didn't change try
changing them), everything worked and felt just fine.

I worked for a Kawai dealer from 1984-1990 and had never seen a set up like
this.  I can't remember the exact date for this piano, but it's from before
1984.  All I remember about the pedal levers back then was having to
"travel" them so they wouldn't squeak.  I got pretty good at it (using a
half-card punching to tilt whatever needed to be tilted).

Barbara Richmond