troublesome upright damper pedal

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 16 21:29:39 MST 2007

Hi Barbara et al

SNIP
>Still, there was the problem for the protruding bolts (sticking up 2 inches!).  I put the piano on its back and did a t-nut repair using 10-24 t-nuts-->countersunk and 1" bolts with a locking washer.

The old tee-nut trick!  When I was a university staff tech, I routinely used tee-nuts in Baldwin Hamilton upright bottom boards, for pelican springs and pedal mount blocks.  I found the wood screws in the bottom board to be a problem often enough that I routinely replaced them with bolts and tee-nuts every time one of these pianos were in the shop.  Usually, I would only replace the screw nearest the fulcrum, and leave the wood screw, which would bare none of the stress of the pedal action.

Frank Emerson