Steinway question

pjr pryan2 at the-beach.net
Wed Jan 17 06:29:14 MST 2007

How does one tell if a Steinway is from Hamburg? A friend of mine, now
deceased, always claimed his "B" was a Hamburg Steinway (Off of a cruise
ship).  His family is now having problems proving this to potential
buyers.  I've always heard that the Hamburgs had a button lid lock in
the side curve.  This one doesn't.  I've also heard that there is a
different profile on the side of the keyboard.  Is this true?  Can you
tell from the serial number (476778)?  Any other differences?  I'd
appreciate your input.

Phil Ryan