Another tough tuning environment

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 17 08:26:29 MST 2007

At 01:09 AM 1/16/2007, you wrote:
>Subject: Re: Another Tough Tuning Environment
>Message: 6
>

>>Well, I thought I would include another short sound clip from a
>>tough tuning location.
>>NAMM show is this week!
>>Don Mannino
>

>Ah, memories! A bunch of years back

Speaking of memories...

Back when I was doing the C & A tunings for the Steinway dealer in
Boston they used to send me out to Great Woods in Southern
Massachusetts - an outdoor concert venue. The concerts and rehearsals
were so tightly scheduled that often the only time available to tune
the piano was when the cleaning crew was running three air
compressors cleaning out the seats from the night before... Then
there was the time that the schedule got all screwed up - and I had
to finish tuning the piano with the Boston Pops warming up on stage.

And then there was the time I came home from a long day's work - and
got a desperate call from a promoter doing a $1000-a-plate charity
fundraiser at a fancy hotel. It seems that the bandleader (G-d bless
him) was refusing to play unless the piano was tuned! I got down
there - with the event is already in full swing and it's one of those
affairs with two bands on either end of the ballroom -and the other
band is already playing away at full blast, horns blaring, trumpets
blasting, etc... The piano got tuned somehow, the show went on, the
promoter was grateful enough to immediately engage me for the
following year's event and I was immensely grateful to Dr. Al Sanderson...

Israel Stein