Steinway question

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Jan 17 21:03:26 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conrad Hoffsommer" <hoffsoco at luther.edu>
To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: Steinway question

> At 08:29 AM 1/17/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>>How does one tell if a Steinway is from Hamburg? A friend of mine, now
>>deceased, always claimed his "B" was a Hamburg Steinway (Off of a cruise
>>ship).  His family is now having problems proving this to potential
>>buyers.  I've always heard that the Hamburgs had a button lid lock in the
>>side curve.  This one doesn't.  I've also heard that there is a different
>>profile on the side of the keyboard.  Is this true?  Can you tell from the
>>serial number (476778)?  Any other differences?  I'd appreciate your
>>input.
>>
>>Phil Ryan
>

> Call Steinway with the serial number. They should be able to tell you
> right away.
> > Conrad Hoffsommer

    Ditto on Conrad's post.
    1-800-366-1865
    Ask for Margaret in customer service.
    Don't leave a voicemail, just keep trying and get her in person.
    Very nice Lady.
    She will tell you Model,where made,when finished and shipped and to what
dealer or individual . No more guessing games !
    I've even had a customer fill in a blank in her geneology chart with the
info.
    Tom Driscoll RPT